LAS CRUCES COMIC CON COSTUME CONTEST
If you have a competitive streak consider entering the Annual Las Cruces Comic Con Costume Contest!
Please help us by doing your part in upholding a safe and welcoming environment for all cosplayers at Las Cruces Comic Con. Refer to Convention Policies & Codes of Conduct and Cosplay is Not Consent for more information.
NEW CHANGE THIS YEAR:
We are no longer accepting on-site contest entries during the convention. Participants must register online using this form:
Online registration ends Thursday, August 1st at 12:00PM (Noon).
The contest will be held in the Las Cruces Convention Center Ballroom 2 on Saturday, August 26th, 2017 at 8:00PM. Arrive no later than 7:30PM. Please arrive early for line-up and check in. By submitting an entry you confirm that you have read, understand, and agree to abide by all rules set forth BELOW:
COSTUME CONTEST RULES
All Costume Contest participants must have:
- A completed online registration.
- A paid Las Cruces Comic Con membership badge or ticket for either the full event or day of the competition.
You will only be allotted one minute (60 seconds) for your presentation. Groups will be allotted two minutes (120 seconds). While there is no requirement to perform a skit, you are encouraged to walk onto stage, strike a pose, and show the crowd your hard work!
If you register and find you are unable to participate in the costume contest please let us know. All no-shows for the costume contest that do not give prior notice will be banned from participating in future Las Cruces Comic Con contests.
A standby list will be compiled during Las Cruces Comic Con. If there is a no-show in your category the first name on the standby list will be selected as a replacement. There will be no guarantee that standbys will be able to compete in the contest.
Las Cruces Comic Con staff are ineligible to compete.
ALL CONTESTANTS MUST BE REGISTERED.
YOUTH: Contestants under 12 years of age
SUPERHERO: Characters from comic book related sources (Batman, Supergirl, Green Lantern, etc)
SCI-FI: Characters from science fiction (robots, aliens, spaceship pilots, etc)
ANIME: Character, creature, or element from any anime source
GROUPS: Teams of two or more people (any genre)
HORROR: Characters from horror shows, books, comics, etc
GAME / MEDIA: Characters from movies, TV, video games, board games, etc
FANTASY / HISTORICAL: Characters fantasy genre or historical figures
There will only be a certain number of entries allowed per each category. Once the category is filled it will be taken off the submission form as an option. In other words, don’t hesitate to enter or you might not get the category you want.
- The MC will announce your name, character, and a short comment about your costume, materials, time taken to make it, etc. as you’ve indicated on your entry form.
- You’ll walk onto stage.
- The MC will then repeat your name and character, which is your cue to exit the stage.
- Convention Costume, Props, & Weapons Policy applies to the contest
- Each entrant can only present one costume. No multiple costume changes
- Contest participant consents to the use of pictures taken during the contest by Las Cruces Comic Con for promotion of future events and contests
- Judges rulings are final and cannot be contested
- Good sportsmanship is required to participate
- Groups consist of TWO OR MORE individuals and will be considered as one entry and the winners will receive one prize to share
- No Jumping off of the stage
- No pyrotechnics, confetti, fireworks, smoke, or glitter bombs
- No throwing items to the crowd, spraying the crowd with water guns, fake blood, or other liquids.
- No mess or any powder or chemical is to be left on stage or in the convention hall
- Contestants are responsible for any damages to convention property as a result of their actions during the contest
- Do not interact with or interrupt the MC, do not make him part of your show or performance
- If the name of your character or source material is mispronounced, correcting the MC before leaving the stage is permitted before your character/costume is repeated to the crowd
- If you require assistance onto the stage due to costume restraints, staff will be on hand to help you up and down the stairs
- Staff will not be available to help you set up or take down props
- Extra time will not be allotted for set up, take down, or an elaborate performance
- Plan accordingly to fit your entire showing into one minute (if a single entry) or two minutes for groups
- Failure to abide by the allotted time limit may result in disqualification
- No microphone allowed for use by participants
Entrants are allowed and encouraged to provide their own music or audio for their presentation. Audio must be edited to the allowed performance time (60 seconds for participant).
If an entrant wishes to provide their own audio (music, dialogue with music and sound effects, etc.) it MUST be in MP3 format and included with your entry no later than Thursday, August 1st, 2017 12:00PM (Noon) and use the following format:
For all pre-recorded audio: The Costume Contest is open to all ages and there will be children in the contest and the audience. We work very hard to present an event that is family friendly. The audio will be screened to ensure that it adheres to these rules. The tech crew has been instructed to immediately cut off sound and lights if any of the following happens:
- Any obscenity or swearing
- Any derogatory references to other contestants
- Any innuendos or off-color jokes
- Anything that sounds like it could be offensive based on (but not limited to) race, gender, orientation, religion, etc.
NO OTHER SOURCE OF AUDIO WILL BE ALLOWED (i.e. personal MP3 players, boom boxes, etc.).
A winner will be selected from each category. Those category winners will compete for Best of Show. The awards are as follows:
- Winner of each category will receive $50 Cash
- Best of Show winner receives $ 500.00 Cash Prize
- 2nd Place Overall receives $ 300.00 Cash Prize
- 3rd Place overall receives $ 200.00 Cash Prize
- Additional prizes, if any, will be announced at the event
RULE UPDATE AND CHANGES
While no changes to these rules are foreseen, certain circumstances may require the rules or times be changed. Any changes will be noted in bold and all capitalization.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the event coordinator